Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2019: 96.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues
Download Publication Certificate

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2021.10(11): 142-156
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2021.1011.018


Evaluation of Surface Water Contamination Using Heavy Metal Pollution Indices in the Mgoua Watershed, Southwestern Cameroon
Josephine Ndjama1*, GeorgeMafany1, Biram Eric Belmond1,Yvette Clarisse Mfopou Mewouo2, Carine Tarkang1, Amina Aboubakar2,Opportune Léonelle Apohkeng Dongmo1 and Armel Zacharie Ekoa Bessa3*
1Hydrological Research Center (HRC), Institute of Geological and Mining Research (IRGM), P.O. Box 4110 Nlongkak-Yaoundé, Cameroon
2Laboratory of soil, plant, water and fertilizer, Institute of Agricultural Research for Development (IRAD), P.O. Box 2123 Yaoundé, Cameroon
3Department of Earth Sciences, University of Yaoundé 1, P.O. Box: 812,Yaoundé I, Cameroon
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

An integrated pollution assessment index approach was used to assess the application of heavy metal pollution indices in the Ngoua watershed in southwestern (SW) Cameroon. The concentrations of Pb, Cr, Cu, Ni, Zn, Mo, Fe and Al in most of the water samples exceeded the maximum allowable concentration recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO). The Heavy Metal Evaluation Index (HEI) shows strong correlations with the Heavy Metal Pollution Index (HPI), Metal Index (MI) and the degree of contamination (Cd), and gives a better assessment of the pollution levels. Selected samples from the 10 sampling stations were classified as high polluted in Cd, MI and HPI in relation to the respective critical values. These values show comparable results to those of the HEI and indicate that about 88% of the samples with above average values were classified as highly contaminated and the remaining samples (12%) with below average values were classified as moderately contaminated. The Enrichment Factor (EF) analysis and the pollution indices reveal that the water quality is mainly controlled by natural and geogenic processes with major anthropogenic input. The current level of heavy metal distribution in the water of the Ngoua catchment is an environmental and health concern and requires special attention.


Keywords: Surface water, heavy metals, pollution indices, water quality, Mgoua watershed
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Josephine Ndjama, GeorgeMafany, Biram Eric Belmond, Yvette Clarisse Mfopou Mewouo, Carine Tarkang, Amina Aboubakar, Opportune Léonelle Apohkeng Dongmo and Armel Zacharie Ekoa Bessa. 2021. Evaluation of Surface Water Contamination Using Heavy Metal Pollution Indices in the Mgoua Watershed, Southwestern Cameroon.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 10(11): 142-156. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2021.1011.018