Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2019: 96.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(9): 735-747
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.909.093


Foldscope as a Preliminary Diagnostic Tool for Field Veterinarians
Jayashree*, M. Tajunnisa, B. Kavitha Rani, K. T. Lakshmishree, Sheela, M. Dhoolappa and B. S. Pradeep
Veterinary College, Shimoga, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

The Foldscope is one of the latest inventions in the field of microscopy. It is a small, handheld, paper-based microscope with a light-emitting diode (LED) light source. It can be held up to the eye for visualization of slides; however we have to secure it to the camera lens of a smart phone by using the magnetic ring supplied along with the kit. An attempt was made to probe the utility of the Foldscope in Veterinary diagnosis as part of a project. Different kinds clinical samples submitted to Veterinary College Hospital during the period 2018-19 were visualized using Foldscope. Apart from this various histological and histo-pathological specimens, parasitological slides, microbial samples, rumen liquor, semen samples, skin scrapings and clinical samples requiring microscopy were visualized using Foldscope. A series of workshops and hands on training was offered to Veterinarians to evaluate its usage in day to day clinical practice. Amongst the 153 participants majority (84.97 %) were Veterinarians and the remaining 15.03 per cent of them were from other fields. The Veterinarians were excited to observe sperm motility from bull semen samples and 40.52 per cent (62), of them expressed its utility to assess the quality of the semen before using the batches supplied to them for artificial insemination. Rumen liquor collected from ruminants was also visualized using Foldscope. Majority of the participants [50.33per cent (77)] felt that Foldscope could be used for diagnosing ruminal disorders based on the activity of ruminal protozoans and ciliates. Majority of the participants [91.50 per cent (140)] were satisfied with the information given about the Foldscope in the workshops, 96.73 per cent (148) were satisfied with the demonstration done using Foldscope. 94.12 per cent (144) of the participants were able to load slides to the Foldscope and 90.20 per cent (138) of them were able to capture images using smart phone cameras. Majority of them 79.08 per cent (121) expressed that the magnification of the lenses should be increased to visualize certain microbes and blood protozoans. Overall 135 (88.24%) participants recommended Foldscope as an immediate tool for diagnosis.


Keywords: Foldscope, Workshop, Veterinary diagnosis-images-mobile phones
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Jayashree, R., M. Tajunnisa, B. Kavitha Rani, K. T. Lakshmishree, P. Sheela, M. Dhoolappa and Pradeep, B. S. 2020. Foldscope as a Preliminary Diagnostic Tool for Field Veterinarians.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(9): 735-747. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.909.093